So I've been watching the neverending presidential election coverage. It appears that as of right now, McCain is the republican shoe-in and Barack and Hillary are still duking it out on the democrat side. I started really thinking about it last night as I discussed political views with two other men from Job#2. Mind you, the conversation was between a 50-year-old black man, a 34 year-old man from India, and your very own resident 30-year-old female Filipino American. Let's just say that the it was profoundly reassuring that although the candidates we hope to see in office are different, we all agreed on some of the changes we'd like to see as a whole, what we like and don't like about each candidate, and the realistic direction certain of agendas.I actually like John McCain, but I think he is too old to live through the grueling four years in the White House. You see how much it ages each president in the span of those four years....can you imagine how taxing it will be on McCain who will be 72 years old if he takes office this year? And it's not like he doesn't already have health issues. Although he is such an offbeat Republican that I love how "unconservative" he can be. I liked him so much more for the gig when he ran 8 years ago. Don't even get me started on Huckabee. I can't even fathom how he's made it this far.
As for who I'm throwing my support behind, I'm still at odds. I really like Barack Obama, but I feel like he doesn't have the experience to handle the job. Not yet. Maybe in 2012, but not 2008. His political agendas aren't that far off and are sometimes parallel to Hillary Clinton's but his direction and proposed methods are a little too idealogical and not as realistic. You can talk the talk, but Hillary understands that if you can't walk the walk, it will bite you in the end. So why make promises that you will end the war when you can instead say that you are indeed against it and will "start ending it". Everyone knows that there is no way that you can just pull the plug on something as critical and complicated as the War in Iraq. Barack speaks as if we chose him, he would show us how easy it would be to end the war. Oh, the voice of being wide-eyed and inexperienced. It will be a slow process with a number of hurdles no matter who is in office.
So all in all, I think that Hillary is best suited for the Presidency. Lord help me that Boyfriend gasps every time I say that. Seriously, we do not speak of politics at length because we love each other and want to continue loving each other - him the absolute conservative and me the liberal with some minor conservative tendencies. Ideally, I would like to see Clinton as a one-term president and Obama as her Second In Command. At which point, he will gain the experience and garner the respect to strengthen a presidential bid in 2012....or 2016 if Hillary goes a second term. Only if I had a say in it, but I don't. So I guess I'll just keep watching the madness unfold.
It's funny that I wrote something about both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama just a little over a year ago. Right around the time they were fomally announcing their presidential bids. If I haven't bored you enough as it is with all this politics talk, feel free to see what I wrote here last January.
Ok...I'm done with all my Presidency talk. I promise to go back to nonsense gibberish regarding Hollywood gossip and the goings on in my mundane life.

No comments:
Post a Comment