Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama - Democratic Candidates for 2008 Presidential Election
(Evans/AP)
(Evans/AP)
I apologize up front that this will be a post of political commentary. For my readers who have zero interest in politics (at our age, it's almost impossible not to have some stake in what these candidates' political agendas are), you can stop reading now. However, I will try to keep it to minimial bitching.
...
As we all know, living in one of the "Red States" makes it almost illegal to admit any democratic sympathy or worse yet, to out-right admit that one is a Democrat. I, personally, do not side strongly with one or the other. There are times I think that I am a liberal Republican and others I think that I am a conservative Democrat. Either way, you get my drift that I simply agree with some of each side's policies, but not all. I guess if I had to choose, I probably am a Democrat because I'm more liberal than conservative. But...shhhhh...don't tell ANYONE I work with!
...
When looking at the Democratic front-runners (i.e., the two above), I think to myself that America truly is the land of opportunity. We are now in an age where Barack Obama is getting a chance to be the first African-American Presidential candidate with valid steam to be a contender, and Hillary Clinton is the first woman Presidential candidate in America who without doubt has the largest financial backing than any of the other Democratic hopefuls.
...
Even though I think that Hillary is more than qualified, and think that her husband was by far the best President this country has had in my lifetime (even with the sordid DNA on the intern-hoochie's dress incident), I just don't see America warming up to her. I think she is amazing in the political arena, and has definitely made her own...without her husband's help. But for some reason, I can see America siding with a black MALE before they side with a WOMAN.
...
By no means am I a bra-burning feminist and declaring women always get the shaft - although I would've loved to set my polyester bra on fire for show back in the day. Just to give you why I think this is merely to take a look at voting history. The Constitution's 15th Amendment allowed the right to vote regardless of race (for men) in 1870. Women were not guaranteed the right to vote until the ratification of the 20th Amendment in August 1920. So if history repeats itself, black males will garner wider public acceptance before that of any female regardless of her race, intelligence, or qualifications.
...
Maybe I'm just rambling, but those are my thoughts. For whatever reason, I doubt a Republican will take office again this time around only because of the bad taste that "Dubya" has left in our mouths with his handling of the Iraqi war. People are ready for change. Now the question is... How big of a change?


1 comment:
I'm the first to admit, I know absolutely NOTHING about politics, nor do I really care, because it all bores me, quite frankly. However, as an American, I do like to see people put into offices who are qualified to be there, and will do what they can to better the country. From what I'm heard, Hilary would do just that ... but I agree that I don't think this country is ready to allow a woman to run it. Which is quite unfortunate, because as a woman, I know what women are capable of ... I know that they are multi-taskers capable of accomplishing so much, and work twice as hard as any man to prove ourselves worthy. And that's just what we need ... but will we get it? Only time will tell ...
Post a Comment