So I'm getting a case of the rainy day blues. Why you ask other than because it is, in fact, raining? I think it has something to do with that I have exactly 27 days to figure out where I'm going to live. My lease is up at my current Chez Jacky, and I refuse to spend another year living next to a nonstop freeway and paying premium for it. Does that make me high maintenance...maybe...but, think about it. If I'm paying close to $1K a month on a 1-bedroom apartment, I should be happy with it, right???? And, I am NOT happy with it...therefore, I did not renew my lease.
Anyway, the search is on... I've hit every major Houston apartment locating website, Craigslist, and called apartments that I've liked or have expressed interest in simply by seeing them. Let me tell you...living in the loop as a single person ain't cheap, my friends.
I was speaking to Midtowner the other day and we discussed the possibility of me getting a roommate to offset the living costs seeing this is the proclaimed "YEAR OF CLEARING DEBT (while at the same time not taking away from my obsession of globetrotting)". Yes, it sounds almost like an oxymoron, but seeing if I can save a bit on living expenses, it might not be too far-fetched. Let's understand that I have not had a roommate in over 5 years, and have no clue what it's like to be concerned of someone else's feelings in my place of habitation anymore. I've come to dislike every roommate I've had to the point of never speaking to them except for one - that was Doc. I think our saving grace was that he was so busy with med school and me finishing my undergrad and working all the time that kept us too busy to build too much animosity.
Here is my theory about a roommate situation. Should I choose to take one on, I think the best would be to live with someone I have never met. Maybe someone from one of those roommate finders. Hear me out. I figure, if I'm going to end up hating this person anyway, it might as well be someone I won't regret losing in the long run. And, if I end up liking this person and we become lifelong friends after it's all said and done, then it's a pleasant surprise. Kinda like finding that $10 bill in your jeans pocket when you're doing laundry ;) Is it sad that I feel this way? Oh, well...
So if anyone hears of any great deals on apartment move-ins or people who are looking for a roommate and (1) won't murder me in my sleep or (2) aren't complete weirdos...I can handle "kind of a weirdo", then let me know. Otherwise, I'll continue my search with great diligence!
Thursday, January 04, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I feel your pain on the moving-issue. Chris and I are getting the hell outta Dodge come July when our lease is up, and I CAN. NOT. WAIT. But as always, $$ is a huge factor.
I can't even offer any advise regarding a roommate, because I've only had 1 that wasn't a boyfriend/husband/fiance or my daughter, and that was waaaay back when I was 18. We stopped talking shortly after she moved out, which was only a couple months after we moved in. Needless to say, it did NOT work.
I agree with using a roommate location service, because you're right ... who wants to lose a good friend? and that is highly likely, sad to say. It's HARD to live with another adult when you both want everything YOUR way.
Good luck in your search, and may you find the perfect roommate who doesn't sneak into your room at night and sift through your underwear drawer or something equally disturbing. :)
Oh, yeah. I concur. Rain IS poo.
Post a Comment