Wednesday, January 10, 2007

I guess I'm a snob

Today I went looking at an apartment complex over my lunch hour. It is one block from where I live now. I knew walking into the situation that this place would be a downgrade from where I was only because it is an older complex built in the 1960's. It was renovated in 2003, but you know that they can only do so much. But, they had an awesome price (about $110 less per month than what I'm paying righ now). So I figured I could entertain the idea of not living in a luxury apartment. WRONG. Yes, the price was even less than what I was hoping to pay, but I guess I've gotten used to the attached parking garages and not having to walk half a mile to a dumpster to take out my trash. I couldn't believe how snobby I was....but I suppose I've become a true yuppie. The unit was a good size and great price. Why oh why can't I just like it?!?!? Maybe even just deal with it?!?!?!

Here are the problems I had:
  1. The MAJOR problem - the unit is located right in front of the complex's front entrance gate. So I'm guessing I will hear the thing creaking open and closed late at night or whenever some drunkass decides to plow into it...as we all know happens in EVERY complex...even the nice ones.
  2. Another biggie is I'd be going to unassigned, first-come-first serve, limited covered parking. As stated above, I'm a snooty chica whose had an attached parking garage for almost 6 years. I'll actually have to use an umbrella to go to my car if it rains...wow, I really am a spoiled brat!
  3. Downgrading from a garden tub to a regular tub - this I might be able to handle, but the bathroom itself is less than half the size of my current - I would consider it more of a nook rather than a bathroom...and it does NOT have a linen closet in it. Where the hell am I suppose to keep my towels? And mind you...this is me just being high-maintenance, but I'd also be going from 8 drawer spaces to ONE! Granted, I never used all 8 but still! It was one of the perks of having a double-sinked bathroom when there was only one of me :) But the extra sink was great for guests. I'm more horrified about the linen closet...
  4. This will be my OCD about little things that will kill me. The little bar area that is a cutout window to the kitchen...it's counter is crooked. I mean dipping down the middle as if some elephant had been sitting in the center. Yep, that will kill me to have to stare at...kinda like broccoli in someone's teeth.

UGH! So I'm officially a high-maintenanced, snobby yuppie. Go ahead...shoot me now! At this rate, I will never find a place in the lower price range I want. I might as well just SUCK IT UP and pay what I'm paying now...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're not being a snob. Trust me. Where I live now? Definitely NOT up to my standards. And I am fully aware that I will have to pay close to double what I do now to get what I want ... is it too much to ask to have a storage closet, for crying out loud???

Be picky ... you work hard for your money, and if having a nice apartment makes you happy, then go for it. Life's too short to live in the hood ...

Rice Spice said...

Thanks so much for making me feel better. I was looking back at my post and thinking, "I'm a whiney ass brat!" I think about my parents who came to this country with nothing, made nothing, raised a family, bought each kid a car, put two kids through college, etc. They never got to experience life as I do, and here I am whining about going from a garden tub to a standard one. Man! I am however very appreciative of everything I have thus far because of how I respect my parents for everything they did...so I guess I'm not too bad.