On Friday, I met up with Giant and Midtowner for a jumbo margarita at Cyclone Anaya's in Midtown. Right there, that intro should scream, "Uh Oh!" After getting halfway through our jumbo and a couple of tasty quesadillas and chips, we start discussing doing something off-the-wall and exciting. We start talking about vacations seeing as Giant just got back from Rio (I'm jealous, and yes, almost hate him). At that moment, a plan was born - Let's go to Vegas tonight!!! And without hesitation, Midtowner and Giant are in it to win it. With that, we race to Midtowner's place to see how we can make it happen.
After thumbing around at our flight options online, I make the final sad call that Vegas is out of our reach :( So after some thought, we decided that we should visit Doc in NYC. Free place to stay, fun person to hang out with...why not? With luck the flights Saturday morning look good for us to arrive in NYC by 3pm, catch dinner, play in the city, crash, and get back on a plane Sunday morning. Spontaneous? Yes. Crazy? Absolutely. It was a done deal. We finish Friday night off by packing our bags hastily in our margarita hazes (yes, my clothes were a crumpled mess - I should've borrowed Single Girl's Flip Fold) , and then play the rest of the night away in Midtown. Probably still loopy from playing way too late, we get up Saturday morning and head for IAH.
Once we arrive into the city that never sleeps, we immediately went out for dinner to one of my favorite Thai restaurants in Chelsea - Spice. It's soooooo good!!! I got the chicken and shrimp pad thai - YUM! A couple of Doc's friends from his psych residency program joined us as well as one of Midtowner's old coworkers who has relocated to NY. Afterwards, we hit a couple of bars until we found our way to Beauty Bar. I had been there once on a previous visit. I love this bar. It use to be an old beauty salon that they kept all the chairs, mirrors, etc. Not only do they have a full service bar and a dance floor in the back, they also have a woman there giving manicures for $10. That includes the mani and a drink...awesome concept, n'est pas?
As the evening progresses, we decide to enlighten Midtowner to the gayer side of the city. After entering a couple of shady and even scary bars, we eventually we ended up at a bar that was muy fantastico! Great music, hot guys that could care less about me because I have the wrong plumbing, and strong drinks. The name of the place escapes me, but I'm sure I'll remember at a later time with Doc's help.
Eventually, we end up back at Chez Doc and pass out. The next morning was rough, to say the least. We eventually drag our arses out of bed, get ready, and make our way to the airport. Thankfully we were smart about our transportation and had a car service pick us up. Darn cabbies are real jerks about taking people to the airport because they hate sitting in the depot line for a fare back. Often times, the line is so long with other cabbies that they don't want to waste their time and end up coming back to the city with no one in the cab....that's why 10 cabs will drive right past you when you know they are on duty the second they see you toting a suitcase...bastards, I tell ya! Good thing is that the car service is only about $10 more than a cab, and is usually no big deal if you've got more than one person like we did.
We arrived back in Houston as of 1:30pm yesterday and for the most part have had time to recover. I, sadly, had to work a few hours last night at Job#2. But, it wasn't too bad. Surprisingly, I don't feel tired. I am a little mad at myself for not taking the time to apartment hunt instead though. Now I REALLY have to beat feet and get the search going...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I have to say, your life is soooo much more exciting than mine. Can I start hanging out with you? :)
No effin' joke ... I've never even been to NYC once, let alone a "spontaneous trip" like that. Lucky you!!!
Yea, it does sound great and all...but after looking at what I spent...I should be SHOT! This coming from the girl who is suppose to be saving up for her move :(
Post a Comment