Monday, February 11, 2008

Mosaic

I've pretty much putzed on my duties of blogging seeing as I missed over the entire weekend. Oh, well... That means 3 blogs from me today!!! The first will talk about my Saturday. I was extremely busy as you can guess from my lack of a post.

During the day, I spent time with the family. It was my uncle's 72nd birthday. Woot! He's the typical crotchedy old man with never a lack of a complaint about something. It really is one of his endearing qualities. He is an intelligent engineer who worked for years for the navy on spy ships and submarines doing things that none of has have yet to figure out nor could he discuss. Now that he is retired, we still have no clue why he would be unreachable for 3-6 months at a time and randomly get calls from him checking in from all over the world - Spain, Greece, Portugal, Nicaragua, Croatia, Panama - so bizarre. Well, anytime you visit him now, you always know you're about to hear his views on politics, how the world is falling apart, and how he's old and crotchedy. Yes, he is aware of his award-winning disposition and doesn't give a damn...that's probably why I like him so much. Ha! He and my other uncle (both on my mother's side) are who taught me to appreciate the taste scotch, never to underestimate a good bourbon, and that beer is a weekend necessity...oh, and that an 18-pack should be drank in one setting. "Who buys beer if you're not gonna drink it?", they use to say. So funny!

After the birthday festivities, I headed over to a black and white cocktail reception for the grand opening of the first tower at Mosaic on Herman Park. I was invited to a big party the rooftop pool and clubhouse to give people the first-hand glance at some of the residences for sale in one of the two towers. It's some swank new high-rise in the medical center. I believe they are condos for sale rather than rent. I checked out a few show models while there, and let me tell you...they are ridiculous...and UGLY! For a one-bedroom 800-sq-ft apartment (and I say apartment because I do NOT consider these shoeboxes condos), they are selling them in the approximate range of $150K. Ok, I understand that it is great that you get a decent (not great) view of downtown Houston as well as an excellent view of the Med Center skyline, but come on! $150K?!?!? It's very modern, but not worth my dough....that's for sure. It's definitely for someone who wants to be in something stylish and hoity toity, but I guess I feel like if I'm paying that much, it should be bigger than my last apartment and come with a yard...BUT then again, that's just me. My guess is that the condos won't sell very well, and they will open them up as an option to rent rather than strictly buying like most of the high-rises are doing.

Here is a picture of me and Ghurl trying to bring the sexy...although we just look like we're doing a very bad "Blue Steel" pose like in Zoolander. I always think these events are cheesy, but I have to show up to shake hands and say hi to people who are good contacts for future events - party planners, beer and wine vendors, event staffing providers (which is Ghurl's industry), caterers, fashion designers, store owners, etc. All of these people could always come in handy when I want donated services or merchandise for any banquets, galas, auctions, or giveaways for charities I work with or discounts or special treatment for events I plan for my own company. Jeez...what you have to do to maintain solid contacts in this town...

No comments: