Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Thank The Almighty for Hot Men in Boxer Briefs!

Yesterday, I went to the Human Rights Campaign 2008 Gala Kick-off Party sponsored by The World of Calvin Klein at Macy's in the Galleria. They hosted a mini-fashion show and served hors d'ouevres and cocktails.

So let's be honest here. I really only went for the free food and drinks because we ALL know that these mall fashion shows never have models that look like their advertisments. Be real. If that were the case, I'd be a mall fashion show groupie. Regardless, I had a fantastic time. It's not hard to have a great time when you attend an event like that with four catty gay men...two of who believe they are so fashion-forward it's ridiculous. Let's just say there were a lot of "blue steel" looks (aka the Zoolander pose) given every time a magazine photographer took pictures. I met some interesting event promoters and HRC members/Gala chairspersons. I even signed up to get more information on becoming a member of the Houston chapter as well as possibly getting involved in helping with their Gala. You know me and getting involved in causes. Granted, I can't imagine where I'd find the time to participate, but we shall see if it's something I feel strongly enough to want to be a part of. I'm still undetermined.

After the event, our little entourage headed to our local gay watering hole for some Drag Queen Bingo and, of course, a few more cocktails. Giant actually won in the first round of bingo along with one other guy. Because there were two winners and only one prize given per bingo round, he had to choose a number between 1 and 100. He didn't choose the closest number so he got a "consolation prize" of three cd's (which were all three pretty sucky selections) while the other guy made off with a year's membership to 24-Hour Fitness. How's that for getting slighted? Drag Queen Bingo becomes a pretty big drag (pun completely intended) after the first round, so I headed home and was in bed before 10:30pm.

Although I didn't stay out super late nor did I drink copious amounts of alcohol, I definitely feel worn out today. Testament that my age is catching up to me. Gone are the days of going out on school nights and not feeling any twinge of wear the next day. What sucks is that I have a going away happy hour for one of my favorite guys in the office right after work today. It is only a 6pm-7:30pm thing since he has dinner plans with some of the senior guys at 8pm, but I would rather just go home and be lazy on the couch. Oh, well...

(And YES, I changed the template...AGAIN!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have such a glamorous life. Traveling the world, going to fashion shows AND Drag Queen bingo. I want your life.

Rice Spice said...

I don't know if it's all that glamorous, but Drag Queen Bingo is defintely not something that falls under the average American past-times. Quirky, maybe...But if you saw those drag queens, you wouldn't really be thinking "GLAMOUR". Trust!