Well, not exactly Tampa, but a small town outside of it called Brooksville. That is Baby's home town. Since our plans to Denver for whitewater rafting were nixed because the flights looked terrible and because Baby preferred seeing his family over visiting with friends in Jacksonville, we settled on a mini-vacation back home for him. The impression I get from his description of his hometown is eerily similar to Channelview. It's a small extremely Southern town about 45-minutes outside of a big metropolitan city. Sound familiar? Although CV isn't any more than 20 minutes outside of downtown Houston, the "feel" of the different areas are very evident. I'm guessing that's the same thing I will experience there.I'm not sure if we'll be staying with his folks or if we'll be staying over at his sister's place. I prefer staying with his sister seeing as I'm still a traditionalist at heart (don't choke, but it's my Filipino upbringing), and I feel strange staying at a boyfriend's parents' house. Although I use to stay at my ex-fiancee's parents' place all the time, I knew them better and saw them almost every month if not more. Basically, it took a while to get to that comfort level. I've met Baby's parents once...and we all remember my lovely projectile vomit at the museum story during the weekend of me first meeting them. So I guess I'm still not at the point of feeling comfortable about staying their house. Is that odd? I can walk into a room full of corporate executives and city officials to present keynote speakers, I can sing karaoke (poorly at that) in front of God and everyone...but I feel strange about spending the night at a boyfriend's parents house.
Regardless, I have never gone to Brooksville with him and feel obligated to do so since he has visited with the bizarro Spice family a handful of times in CV. Even though there is less travel involved to see my family (20-minutes by car versus 2.5 hours by plane), he nevertheless has sat through entire days filled with dealing with a rambunctious toddler niece, a baby who does nothing but spit up, a mother who subtly asks Baby why we're not closer to an alter without actually using those words, and a lecture from my father about how it will take a strong man to deal with his hard-headed and very independent second daughter.
Other than that, there isn't much going on the rest of this week. I have to work at both jobs today and tomorrow though...ugh! However, I can look at the bright side - at least it's not raining a torrential downpour like it had been over the last few months and it's not in the triple digits either...

No comments:
Post a Comment