Wednesday, August 20, 2008

When you really need to serve someone a tall glass of Shut the Hell Up!


I'm not sure if you've heard of this story. This kid to left is 16-year old Blake Peebles from Raleigh, NC. Here is the link to a news article on what I'm about to rant about. I caught wind of this story through my favorite gossip blog. So get this load of caca...
Blakey here has decided that he's too cool for school. Literally. He has convinced his parents to allow him to drop out of school to...wait for it... focus on becoming a professional Guitar Hero player. Whu? Yeah, exactly. It's a friggin' video game! Can you believe his parents took the bait and allowed him to do so?!?!? Jeez! This is a classic case of the parents losing sight of being parents. There is definitely something about supporting a child's dreams, aspirations, and God-given skills...but Guitar Hero? It sounds like Blake calls the shots and his parents just go with it so he'll stop his whining. Let him whine, I say! That's a part of being a kid is thinking that you know better than your parents who are trying to keep you down from what you know is your destiny. Dramatic, right? But totally how we were at the age of 16. The kid has maybe two more years in high school. Let the twerp suck it up! His parents need their parenting license taken away.
~*~
Let me give you an idea of how that conversation would go if it had happened in my house...
~*~
*SCENE-- The Spice Family living room circa 1993
-
RICE SPICE: Mom, Dad - I want to quit school to focus my skills on being a professional videogamer.
-
MAMA and PAPA SPICE (in unison): Shut the hell up!!! Now go back to your dungeon, peasant!
-
(Ok, maybe I didn't live in a dungeon, but I sense some form of "Shut the hell up" would be in there somewhere).
~*~
Seriously though, my parents would never had even let me entertain that idea. Let alone let me do it. I guess this kid's parents are willing to support him for the rest of their lives because I don't know how well "No Education" and "Guitar Hero Specialist" will look on a resume, but I have a feeling finding a job in his later years is going to be a slow moving process.
~*~
--Btw, I wonder if Blake is related to Mario Van Peebles, famed actor of the '80s and ''90s.

No comments: