Thursday, August 21, 2008

Lurking

From what I understand, a week in January is designated to be Delurk Week. For those not aware, let me explain...for as much as I can from what I recall. The term "lurking" is when you regularly read blogs and their comments without actually commenting yourself. The blogging event in January allows people to "delurk" or make themselves known as a reader to someone's blog. For example, you simply comment "I love your blog!" and leave it at that or comment "I've been reading your blog. Stop by mine anytime." Some stay anonymous, some don't have blogger accounts but still say hey, and some sign in if they have a blogger account to allow you the option to see their profile. You get the gist. Basically, I feel like it's a simple way for bloggers to get comments and feel...loved? Maybe not loved...just that we have a captive audience and am not blogging into the wind for no one else but ourselves. I just like knowing that besides my occassionally "woe as me" moments, that I'm actually entertaining someone. It's hard to wear a bellhop costume, hold a tin cup, and tap dance while someone plays the accordian in the background for you via the internet to make you smile, so all you get are my ramblings.

For those of us who use stat counters, we see IP addresses reading our blogs, but often times don't know who they are. Unless you go all Sherlock Holmes like I do and match IP addresses to those who comment - thank you, date and time stamp. Most of the time, I know if it's someone in say Denver, it is more than likely Pocahontas reading. If I see Tokyo, I know it's Weenie. If I see Burbank, I know it's Miss Bathrobe Blogger. Now and again, I see random places where I don't really think I know anyone. Although I don't mind strangers knowing the inner workings of my bizarre mind (hello, I DID start the blog, right?), my interest is extremely piqued. Ok, call me plain nosey. I'm sure they found me through other blogs I read/comment on or links of which I've been honored to be added on to as something they regularly read. I'm flattered.

So although this is not the designated week to delurk, I encourage you all to delurk anyway!!! Come out, come out wherever you are and say hi! Even if you want to remain mysterious and anonymous, a simple "Wuddup?" would suffice ;-)

Maybe just maybe I'll delurk on your blog in return...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find myself checking your blog daily.... you are just too damn funny!

I have come across some really good information through your blog and enjoy reading whatever topic you chose to write about!

Wow... does that mean that I have no life because I read daily the blogs of people I have never met???

Amanda said...

Hello, I haven't been commmenting as much as I used to...but I do check your blog daily.

Rice Spice said...

Anonymous: I've seen you post before, so thanks for making a comment! I don't think you don't have a life because if that were the case, I'd be right up there with ya since I lurk on other blogs of people I've never met either. Maybe YOU should start a blog!!! You'll be surprised at how interesting your life is to others :)

Amanda: It's all good, chica! I know I have a loyal reader with you. So how's life been lately? Post, post, post!