Yesterday, my office decided to close early at 11am as a preventative measure for possible flooding in the downtown area due to the incoming storm Edouard. The storm ended up not being as bad as anticipated, but I still got to enjoy a day of nothingness. Really. Can you believe I did absolutely nothing but watch movies and back to back episodes of Law and Order???? Completely unheard of in the world of Rice Spice lately. On my way home, I stopped at Blockbuster and rented 3 movies: The Orphanage, National Treasure 2, and Definitely, Maybe. Once I got home, I grabbed a comfy blankie and got cozy on the couch.
I've always wanted to see The Orphanage, but have been somewhat hesitant because it is in Spanish. My Spanish is a bit spotty, so I would have to utilize the subtitles. Subtitled movies require thought, and I usually am wanting a mindless movie to scare me when I think of horror movies. Seeing as I had the time and I felt it was now or never, I started the DVD.
The movie is very good! Not ohmygodthatwassoawesome good, but good enough to think it wasn't a waste of my time. It wasn't in your face scary...more like creepy when you think about it scary. Definitely a more thought-provoking scary movie than the typical gory movies they put out there nowadays. If you've ever seen the movie The Others, it is on the lines of that. Not the same story plot at all, but the same type of unexpected ending.
The story starts off about a group of children who lived in an orphanage. One of the girls, Laura, is eventually adopted. Thirty years later, she buys the orphanage to turn it into a school for children with disabilities and special illnesses. All kinds of weird stuff starts happening to Laura and her family...particularly her young son Simon. That's about all I can tell you so that I don't give it away...just in case you ever decide to watch it.
After that, I watched National Treasure 2. Did I ever tell you how much I LOVE Nicholas Cage? I think he's that weird sexy. Not that I would ever see him on the street and think he was hot stuff, but I think I find the characters he plays endearing. Although lately, his teeth are a bit too much like chicklets - overboard on the veneers if you ask me. His weaves are looking a tad beat down lately, too. I suppose he's getting older, so I won't hold it against him.
If you ever saw the first National Treasure movie, it's the same concept. Treasure hunt, avoid the bad guys who are after the same treasure, interesting history references, completely impossible implications about current historical landmarks, witty comedy ensues. You'll love this movie if you loved the first one or simply love Nic Cage. Angelina's daddy Jon Voight was pretty good in it, too.
I didn't get to Definitely, Maybe because I started watching nonstop Law and Order episodes. Man, I love that show! Anywho... I plan to attempt to watch Definitely, Maybe later tonight if I can't sleep or tomorrow. I figure it is a good chick flick that just so happens to star the hotness that is Ryan Reynolds. Oh the things I could do to that man.
I've always wanted to see The Orphanage, but have been somewhat hesitant because it is in Spanish. My Spanish is a bit spotty, so I would have to utilize the subtitles. Subtitled movies require thought, and I usually am wanting a mindless movie to scare me when I think of horror movies. Seeing as I had the time and I felt it was now or never, I started the DVD.
The movie is very good! Not ohmygodthatwassoawesome good, but good enough to think it wasn't a waste of my time. It wasn't in your face scary...more like creepy when you think about it scary. Definitely a more thought-provoking scary movie than the typical gory movies they put out there nowadays. If you've ever seen the movie The Others, it is on the lines of that. Not the same story plot at all, but the same type of unexpected ending.
The story starts off about a group of children who lived in an orphanage. One of the girls, Laura, is eventually adopted. Thirty years later, she buys the orphanage to turn it into a school for children with disabilities and special illnesses. All kinds of weird stuff starts happening to Laura and her family...particularly her young son Simon. That's about all I can tell you so that I don't give it away...just in case you ever decide to watch it.
After that, I watched National Treasure 2. Did I ever tell you how much I LOVE Nicholas Cage? I think he's that weird sexy. Not that I would ever see him on the street and think he was hot stuff, but I think I find the characters he plays endearing. Although lately, his teeth are a bit too much like chicklets - overboard on the veneers if you ask me. His weaves are looking a tad beat down lately, too. I suppose he's getting older, so I won't hold it against him.
If you ever saw the first National Treasure movie, it's the same concept. Treasure hunt, avoid the bad guys who are after the same treasure, interesting history references, completely impossible implications about current historical landmarks, witty comedy ensues. You'll love this movie if you loved the first one or simply love Nic Cage. Angelina's daddy Jon Voight was pretty good in it, too.
I didn't get to Definitely, Maybe because I started watching nonstop Law and Order episodes. Man, I love that show! Anywho... I plan to attempt to watch Definitely, Maybe later tonight if I can't sleep or tomorrow. I figure it is a good chick flick that just so happens to star the hotness that is Ryan Reynolds. Oh the things I could do to that man.
Seriously. Look at that perfection!
I love Boyfriend, but he understands my deep almost stalker-like hankering for a Van Wilder spankering...hehe.
That is all for now. I'm off to the gym to try to get rid of my fat ass :)

No comments:
Post a Comment