Friday, November 16, 2007

*Insert Rocky theme music/Eye of The Tiger*

I was actually going to include an excerpt of the lyrics to the song, but realized...I really don't like the lyrics all that much. I find the musical intro is what really gets the blood pumping, but writing out, "Dun, Dun, Dun, Dun, Dun, Dun, Duuuuuuun..." doesn't have quite the same effect. I even thought about adding a music player on my blog, but didn't want to bust any of my adoring fans who are reading this on the clock - which is just about all of you!

As of today, I have completed four weeks of Houston Adventure Bootcamp. I did the 3-day a week session. Can you believe I got up at 4:15am on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays just to have a quick breakfast, get dressed, and to be at the park for my 5am butt-kicking?!?! It was actually a lot of fun! I enjoyed it thoroughly and found out that I'm definitely tougher than I thought I was physically. I've been saying that I wanted to do this type of thing forever. Blondie and I decided to sign up so that she get in shape before her Jamaica trip this week, and me just because I wanted the physical challenge and was curious if I could actually stick to it.

Weight-wise, I don't think I lost any specific amount of pounds because I generally fluctuate anyway. But, I do have more muscle...and as Boyfriend pointed out, my keister is quite firmer. Woot! With the fear of my big arse eventually drooping to the back of my knees, that was reward enough hearing him say that! Oh, and you can feel the muscles in my biceps now. Sadly, you still can't really SEE them because I'm just not genetically inclined to have that type of definition - thanks, mom and dad! I guess I will always resemble a somewhat cheap piece of steak...lean meat with a layer of gristle. *he he he*

After a month of working out with this program, I have accomplished and learned a few things from the first class:

  • I have shaved off about a minute from my mile run time

  • I have increased my 40 push-ups in 2 minutes to 60 push-ups - strong like bull

  • I have increased my full-situps to 40 - I know, it doesn't sound like much...but for this chica with back injury history, it's AMAZING!

  • I crunch and plank longer than just about anyone in my class...because I'm badass like that. Did I mention how badass I was?

  • I no longer want to curl up in the fetal position crying for someone to saw off my legs a day after doing lunges for the length of a basketball court

  • I still hate crawling/running/running backwards up steep hills

  • I can now run with 6lbs. weights in each hand held at 90 degree angles for about a mile while stopping at several circuit stations along the way to do curls, front raises, flies, triceps, etc. without wanting to die...ok, I still want to die, but I learned I can push through it anyway.

Initially, I was going to celebrate by negating everything I’ve worked out for by stuffing myself full of queso and margaritas at a Mexican restaurant before going to a comedy show with Noodle and Grove. However, I just got a call from Papa Spice that even though he arrived just this morning from Iraq and is worn out, he really wants to see the whole Spice family together tonight. So I did a last-minute flakey cancel on the guys and am off to eat dinner at Yao Restaurant & Bar. Yes, the infamous Rockets’ basketball player Yao Ming’s parents own a restaurant on the southwest side of Houston. We’re sticking to an Asian theme...because, you know, all Asians are alike. Just look at the Yaos and the Spices. Ok, maybe we don’t have EVERYTHING in common. They are millionaires, we are not. They are giants in stature while some adult Spice family members get raised eyebrows as they pass the measuring stick at amusement park rides. So all in all, we have absolutely nothing in common. Whatever. We still plan to eat at their restaurant. My dad has never been and is looking forward to sitting on some of the furniture in a room specifically tailored for Yao and people who obviously are not vertically challenged.

Hope you all have a fun-filled weekend…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your completion of the program! What an amazing accomplishment. I didn't know Yao Ming's family owned a restaurant in Houston, hope y'all had a wonderful time!

Rice Spice said...

I know I had mentioned the boot camp to you before, but I didn't want to talk about it on the blog until I finished. I was afraid I'd become one of those "all talk" people who starts the program but doesn't finish it. So here I am - one month later having only missed 1 class (that being the morning I was about to leave for boot camp and saw my car window busted in...AGAIN).

Yep, the food's pretty good at Yao's restaurant. The one side turns into a club after 9pm...so bizarre.