Monday, June 18, 2007

Weekend Review: Thursday thru Friday

I know the weekend doesn't technically start until Friday evening, but I had an early start on Thursday. Thursday night was the first night in a long time that I did NOT have to work at Job #2. Granted, the main reason I took a day off was because a co-worker/friend was having his last hurrah in Houston as he quits his job this week, takes the rest of the summer to travel to Russia and Europe, and then hunker down to attend graduate school at Harvard Business School. Yay for him! If only I were that smart!!! I know I'm no dummy and am extremely witty and wonderful, but Harvard smart? I'm realistic enough to know that is out of this Asian-who-hates-any-form-of-mathematics' reach.

I started off with what was suppose to be a quick happy hour drink with Grove at Front Porch in Midtown prior to the heading to Fedora Lounge where Harvard's get-together was to take place. Noodle met up with us right about the time when the skies open up. I was trapped at FP until the rain broke. What else is there to do when you're with two of your favorite guys in the world (outside of Baby and Doc, of course) in a bar??? You guessed it...ordered a pitiful excuse for a medium pizza that literally could've only been served at a bar, another bucket of beer and squeezed in Rumplemints (sp?) shots - YIKES! It was still daylight and no need for shots, but the deed could not be undone - Grove was on a mission to order them. It set the tone for what was to be an evil evening on a school night.

Slightly tipsy but nowhere near drunk yet (thank GAWD), the rain let up so I was able to pick up Midtowner and head to Fedora Lounge. Fedora was packed with that typical crew who were Harvard's friends and acquaintances - young professionals, primarily men, all successful and some actually pretty good-looking. There were a few women sprinkled here and there, but the odds were definitely 4:1 in our favor. Although I have Baby, it's always fun to accompany my single girlfriends like Midtowner to "quality" meat markets such as these and watch her prowess in the hunt. Two Dewars and Sodas later, we hopped back into the car to meet back up with Noodle and Grove back in Midtown at FP again. They had a few other friends with them this time as we all eventually made our way to Pub Fiction then Swizzle. When it was all said and done, I awoke the next morning at 6am to an annoying blackberry alarm reminding me to get off of Midtowner's couch and hurry home to change and be at work by 8. LORD! What possessed us to be so ridiculous?!?! I think I had a momentary lapse in realization that I am already 30 years old and NOT 20 years old.

Dragging ass at work on Friday, Baby and I decided over the phone that the weekend getaway, be it San Antonio or New Orleans, was literally a "wash." Too much rain concerned me that the flights would be delayed, cancelled, or overall just a mess. We decided to stay in town and enjoy the comforts of partying with friends we haven't had a chance to party with all together in a while. Very fun, but again a VERY bad idea.

Baby and I had a phenomenal dinner at Ruth's Chris - he had some steak while I had Chilean Sea Bass topped with lump crabmeat and lobster butter sauce. Delish! Afterwards, we met up with Thai and Brit (one of our favorite couples - she is from Thailand, he is from Britain) at Fedora Lounge (again!). We were later joined by Noodle, Grove, Midtowner, and Rep. We then eventually made our way to The Heights' at the newer trendy bar out there called Kobain. Not sure if it's after Curt Kobain, but I do know they play a lot of rock music versus all the booty shaking/rap/pop stuff you hear everywhere else. Too many drinks, an overflowing amount of shots, and a bar tab that was astronimical later...we headed back to Baby's place for some afterhours drinking and dancing in the living room. Yes, it was like we were reliving college all over again. Ridiculous. Needless to say, I woke up to the a frightful kitchen decorated in an array of empty beer bottles, beer cans, half-empty cups, tumblers, wine glasses, and a few bottles of liquor and wine strategically placed all around the house - basically, the scene from Animal House. Lucky for Baby that I can't stand to see such filth and cleaned it all up by the time he, Noodle, and Grove had awaken from their drunken slumber.

Saturday was spent sitting on the couch watching the Bond movie Casino Royale (which by the way is VERY good), falling in and out of sleep to the Golf U.S. Open, making a quaint little fajita dinner at home, and then ending the night by watching Smokin' Aces (which is also a badass movie!!!).

Sunday was boring. More watching Tiger lose to some no-name from Argentina and recovering from Friday night. Then, at 6:00pm, I headed to Job #2 to work my shift at 6:30pm. Yes, I work Sunday nights again...ugh! Oh, well...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are such the social butterfly! I think I might envy you a little. :)

Anonymous said...

I would too ... if I weren't so lazy, that is. All that going out means dressing up and everything ... yep, much too lazy for that kind of effort anymore, heh.

Oh, by the way? You hear that strange gurgling sound coming from your midsection? Well, it's not your stomach growling with hunger. It's you LIVER, chica, begging for help! Hehehehe. I have no room to talk ... I drank non-stop for, like, 10 years (Obviously, my anti-social mood took a hike ... and my inner smartass decided to make an appearance.)