As much as I love a good reason to eat, drink, and be merry, I've decided that birthdays are going to be the death of me. My jam-packed calendar of birthdays, anniversaries, and major parties began in mid-March and will extend until the end of this month. With each month containing at least 4 events/parties/get-togethers I had to attend (yes, had to, or I would've been run over by a car if I decided to no-show). Throw in a vacation to Peru, and there we have a recipe for my being run ragged. This month is no different from the last. My brother's birthday is tomorrow (we celebrated this past weekend), Madame's birthday is being celebrated this weekend in Vegas (5th annual 35th birthday!), Baby's birthday is on June 11th, my sister is due to give birth to my nephew on June 15th (which, btw, is also my parents' anniversary), two going away parties for friends going off to Harvard and UT for business school, and my sister rounding out the month with her birthday on June 22nd.
July, August, and September are my off months of no birthdays or major activities. I've decided that I am not allowed to make new friends between now and November for fear they may have a birthday, a wedding, or a birth of a child that falls in those months. Jeez!
Speaking of birthdays, as I mentioned previously, Baby's birthday is right around the corner. I haven't decided what to get him or if we should just take a day trip somewhere. Part of me is mortified at the thought of traveling somewhere since I just got back from a vacation and have yet to fully recuperate. Although, I thought it would be very romantic to go to San Antonio for one night - fly up Saturday morning, sightsee a bit (haven't been to The Alamo since I was 8 years old), do the Riverwalk thing, have dinner and drinks, spend the night somewhere along the Riverwalk, and head home the next morning.
When Baby and I first started seeing each other on a level as more than just friends, we kept it very hush-hush by not telling our friends of the times we went out and even took a weekend getaway to San Antonio together. We did meet up with some of Baby's friends who were there on business from Florida, but we never told our friends here in Houston that I accompanied him. For all they knew, I had to work that weekend...which, at the time, was usually the case. Because we still weren't sure where our relationship was headed, we didn't think we needed to get our friends' hopes up (or down) about whether or not Rice Spice and Baby were going to be something exclusively official. Eventually, we went public with our relationship when (a) our friends started to put two and two together and (b) we decided that we really did care about each other and wanted to pursue the relationship further. So in a way, this trip to San Antonio would be nostalgic to the very first time we went somewhere together...on our secret rendez vous...hehehe.
If I decide not to do the San Antonio thing, I'm at a loss for gift ideas. Again, what do you give the guy who has everything?
Monday, June 04, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
A swift kick in the ass ... a man can NEVER have too many of those!
Hehe. I'm such a smartass ... I really have no suggestions, but I just couldn't let that one go without saying something!
I hate the whole process of birthday gifts ... the thinking of what to buy ... the trying to find the thing you decided on ... then the worrying about whether they will like it or not. I guess some people don't give a rat's ass or not whether their gift will be well-received, but I do, which makes for a big, fat headache sometimes. Of course, if they DO love it, it makes me feel really good.
I think the San Antonio trip sounds like a great birthday excursion, especially due to the history of that place with the two of you. Plus, trips are a great way to take your mind off the fact that you're getting another freakin' year older!
P.S. My 30th is in August ... please send a big, industrial size box of Kleenexes, because I'm sure I'm going to need them!
So basically you just ruined that I don't know anyone with an August birthday. Damn you! hehehe.
I went ahead a booked a hotel in SATX just in case I go that route. Better have something held that I can cancel then to decide to go the last minute and everything be booked up. I will probably do that anyway.
As for your 30th, I don't care how broke you are... Single Girl and I will have to take you out for martinis and manicures!!! Consider it a done deal. Just pick the Saturday, and I'm there!
And don't worry about getting older. I figure if we're this fabulous at 30, then who cares? Somewhere out there, there is some 23-year-old thinking, "Why can't I be as cool as they are?" ;)
I think San Antonio sounds perfect!!! I LOVE SAN ANTONIO!!! I don't know how you stay sane. Ahhh, the life of a social butterfly, I don't envy you.
I agree with the birthday festivities for Diana Banana's birthday.
Sounds good to me!!
I'm actually really surprised you don't know anyone other than me with an August birthday. Supposedly, it's a very popular month ... too much bow-chica-bow-bow during the cold, snuggly winter months, heh.
Post a Comment