Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Winery Comments

For Single Girl, I will do an overview of the wine tastings we went attended, and everything else we did.

We got in around 9pm on Friday which gave us just enough time to grab a couple of beers at a bar within walking distance to our cottage and hit the hay pretty early. After having our tasty egg quiche, hash browns, and fruit brought to our cottage at 9am the next morning, we finally got out of bed and walked around the town. We visited a few little nick nack shops as most of these tourist towns have, then had lunch at Rather Sweet Bakery and Cafe for some very delicious tomato basil soup and sandwiches. After coating our stomachs in preparation for some wine, we set off for the wineries for the day sometime around 1pm.

Torre di Pietra
This was the first winery we visited on Saturday afternoon. This winery and vineyard is about 10 minutes away from Main Street. It was a very cozy little place compared to the other wineries we later visited. It had a nice little fireplace and sitting area for if you wanted to sit and enjoy a bottle of wine. When we first arrived, we made our way up to the wine tasting bars. It was $5 for 5 tastes from their wine selection. We decided to do $5 each rather than share so that we can get a taste of 10 wines instead of sharing 5. We were all about trying as many as possible. The tastes are about the size of a 1-count with a shot pourer (meaning one hefty gulp or 2-3 sips). After trying all 10 that we sampled, Baby and I decided to buy two bottles a piece. He went with the Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon (2005) and the lighter, fruitier Grenache Rose. I went with two of their signature wines which happen to have pretty entertaining names - Red Flirt and Dirty Girl. You can click here to get a description of how each wine tasted.

Grape Creek
After about an hour or hour and a half at the first winery, we mosied on over to Grape Creek about a mile down the road. Grape Creek was less inviting as it was just one big room with their winery equipment machines that look like big vats all around you. I think the people here were a bit more personable than at the previous winery, and Baby and I agreed that their wines were better. Their prices were a bit cheaper as well. Here we decided to again buy 4 bottles between the two of us - Salut! Cabernet Sauvignon (2003), Cabernet Trois (2004), Bellissimo! (2002), and Reisling (2004). Here is a description of these wines. We also bought a very awesome Mango Habenero Sauce for Doc since it screamed him when we tasted it. Little birthday gift from Baby to Doc =)

Fredericksburg Winery
This was the last winery we visited for the day. We had a fast-talking guy serving us our wines telling us the rules of all things wine. If we could understand at least 40% of what he was saying, we were lucky. I think he must have a second job as an auction emcee. The most we got out of him was "the spicier the food, the sweeter the wine." They actually carried some of the sweetest wines I had ever tasted, and I'm not talking port wines either (port wines are dessert wines for those not in the know). Their tasting displayed their entire selection from driest (non-sweet) to sweetest. We got to the fourth to the last one, and I told Baby that if I drank anything sweeter I would probably vomit all over myself. We decided that we would stop while we were ahead and not try the last few. I ended up buying their Pinot Noir as it was one of their driest wines and was quite tasty.

In between Grape Creek and the Fredericksburg Winery, we did visit Trade Days which is nothing more than a flea market of crap. It's amazing what people will sell in those places. I guess one man's trash is someone else's treasure, but most of what we saw really was just trash...lol.

After the wineries, Baby and I snacked at the Fredericksburg Brewery eating bad nachos and drinking locally brewed beer. I wasn't all that impressed with this, but again, it was for the experience of saying I went to the brewery there. Although, I forgot to mention for Diana Banana that I drank nothing but Blue Moon at the bar we went to on Friday night.

For dinner later that night, we went to Cotton Gin Restaurant. We had a delicious meal. Baby had a crusted trout and I had a tarragon shrimp scampi. We decided that we liked each other's dishes better so we switched, but it was all good nonetheless. Granted, it's not 5-star restaurant in Houston, but it was good country cooking.

We were so worn out after our 7 hours of wine-drinking that Baby passed out fully clothed while I was getting ready for bed. I didn't have the heart to wake him, so I put the blanket on him and let him sleep.

The next morning, we had another great breakfast brought to us of eggs, french toast, and fruit. We packed up and headed home by way of San Marcus. Baby had never been to the outlet mall out there, so we decided to stop by. Bad idea on my part. I ended up spending more money than I should have... although now I have the sexiest pair of patent leather, 3-inch stiletto, peek-a-boo-toed shoes!!! HOT! I should've taken a picture...oh, well. I also made off with a pair of sandals and a crocheted dress-like shirt thingy that I can either wear with jeans for the "wearing a dress with pants" look or over a bathing suit as a cover up. Very versatile.

We finally made it home before 6pm, and were BEAT! We had a fantastic time and would be more than willing to go again to try some more of the other wineries out there. Maybe sometime in April would be good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome. I SOOOOOO want to take a similar trip one day, hopefully in the near future. Chris and I know abso-freaking-lutely NOTHING about wine, but we both like it, so a trip like that would be right up our alleys.

And ... Yay for Blue Moon! It is totally the shiznit, yo!

Anonymous said...

I really think I need some of the Dirty Girl!!! I don't really care what is tastes like!

I am so glad y'all had a good time. It really sounds like a lot of fun.