Monday, May 26, 2008

I only grow my hair simply so I can rip it out

Things have been completely insane lately. Not only do I feel like I'm in a constant mode of PMS and that even Boyfriend's cheery, smiling face saying "Good Morning" makes me what to tear my left arm out of socket and wave it around my head while yelling obscenties (don't worry - lots of closing my eyes and counting to 10 has helped me from losing limbs)...but Job#1 has gotten busier than ever for me. I should have suspected that would happen since Job#2 has gotten significantly easier. Damn ying trying to counter my yang.

Let me start from the beginning. Some of you know that I work for an airline at Job#2. At this job, I was given the opportunity to start working from home. This has saved me the roundtrip drive time between either Job#1 or home to Job#2 (about a 20-30 min commute in rush hour) and gas money. As we all know, gas ain't cheap nowadays! This has been fantastic!

On the downside, the poop has hit the fan at Job#1. At Job#1, I work as an executive assistant for a company downtown that makes some pretty impressive headlines in the energy finance industry. There are only two other assistants to support the people at our office in addition to myself. I support three guys (business and virtually personal assistant) as well as maintain the office's Accounts Receivables/Accounts Payable, office maintenance, supply inventories of all areas, etc. It gets pretty crazy trying to maintain the office when you have an executive standing over you asking a million question and having you book some of the most bizarre trans-international routings for different meetings they have throughout the week. However, I manage. And I'm pretty damn good at what I do....AND I'm compensated nicely for it.

Unfortunately, the assistant who has been there longer than me (essentially our office manager) got into an accident two Fridays ago at which point she slipped, got a concussion, and fractured her skull Yes, fractured her skull!!! She is slowly recovering, but going through some excruciating headaches and nausea caused by the contusions bleeding out to other parts of her head. Sadly there is nothing she can do but to wait until the brusing goes away on its own. Basically, it's just a wait and see. Even worse, she has now lost her sense of smell....hopefully temporarily. We are in constant crossed-fingers for her.

With all this in mind, Coworker was out all last week and will be out this coming week. We hired a temp to answer the phones and deal with basic office work so that the two of us assistants left would have more time to support the four people Coworker assisted. So needless today, I've been slammed. Seeing as I've been there longer than the other assistant, Coworker's bosses come to me for help rather than the other assistant. I finally had to put my foot down on Friday when I almost burst into tears for being overwhelmed that I couldn't support 7 people (my 3 and Coworker's 4). I have designated a couple of them to go to the other assistant for anything they needed effective immediately. I would no longer be assisting them. Period. The downside of it is that the other assistant is not the proactive type of assistant that just does things to get them done. She will only do what she is told and never above and beyond that. I'm still hoping it is because she is relatively new to our company and will learn that is unacceptable because the assistants for our company are normally about 3 steps ahead of what our bosses are thinking... and that's what gets us ahead. I know that is why all of Coworker's bosses preferred me handling their business matters, but supporting 7 people and running an office in the officer manager's absence just about killed me. Now I understand why people become alcoholics!

So tomorrow I start another week of craziness. I'm hoping for a smoother week since a lot of the people in my office will be traveling, but you just never know. Thank goodness it's a short work week!

No comments: