Sunday, October 21, 2007

Oh, Carolina!

Single Girl got stuck with babsitting duty Saturday morning, so we decided to hold off on the Zumba class. Disappointing, but I'm sure we'll get a chance to try it another time.

Seeing as I had no other plans other than cleaning and the dinner with Weenie on Sunday night, I decided to go ahead and visit Boyfriend in Greenville, SC. It was completely unplanned and extremely short seeing as I had to wake up at 4:55am this morning to make my 6:35am EST flight back home. I am blogging on the plane now with intent to post when I land, and the current time in Houston is 6:30am...ugh!. All the flights leaving at reasonable hours looked horrible for standby. So basically, I only had one day to see Boyfriend.

We went to Falls Park on the Reddy River downtown to walk around and get some exercise and to enjoy the sunny mid- to high-70 degree weather. It was beautiful..definitely fall-like weather we won't see in Houston until about late November (if we're lucky). Then, we got cleaned up and headed to Chief's Wings & Firewater to have a bucket of beer and watch the Florida/Kentucky game. The Gators won...woot!

After the game, we headed back to downtown to try a sushi place we saw earlier as we drove around. Their Main Street in dowtown was busy - lots of families and young 20's crowd. I can't remember the sushi place's name where we had dinner, but it was God awful. By far the worst sushi I had ever had. Not that I'm a food critic by profession, but I've eaten enough sushi in my day to know bad sushi. First off, I ordered a piece of unagi (freshwater eel) which is my favorite, therefore, I order it everytime I eat sushi. The piece of eel set on my little block of rice was the most paper-thin piece of unagi I had ever seen. I'm talking maybe 1/16th of an inch compared to the average chunk of eel. I'm not exaggerating. Secondly, the tuna was not fresh. Any sushi eater knows that correctly prepared raw fish is NOT suppose to smell and/or taste "fishy". Third, we ordered spider rolls which are very lightly battered in a panko batter and fried before being rolled. Theirs was heavily battered in a tempura batter instead. The batter was so thick that it was almost like eating a piece of cheap fried chicken wrapped in rice and seaweed. Extremely bizarre. And the biggest sushi no-no, was their salmon. Boyfriend ordered two pieces. Again, setting on their small rice blocks were not light pink almost orange flakey pieces of salmon. They were dark pink almost red (aka old), rubbery pieces made from the back parts of the salmon having not cut the grey piece of meat generally taken off with the skin. So imagine a rubbery, half-grey half-red piece of "salmon". I was mortified. When I said something to the waitress about it, her response was, "We make it that way all the time here." I bit my tongue from rebuttling, "well, you've been doing it wrong here ALL THE TIME then!" Somewhere a sushi chef has fainted knowing these country bumpkins have butchered a culinary art. Sadly, the only good things about dinner was the Asahi Light beer and the fact that they offered low sodium soy sauce...JEEZ!

Once we concluded our disappointing dinner, we headed back to the hotel room to crawl in bed and watch the LSU/Auburn game since my plane left at the crack of dawn. We were rooting for Auburn but fell asleep. We found out this morning before Boyfriend drove me to the airport that LSU pulled a very close win...booooo!

It looks like I have about another 45 minutes until I land. I'm sure Boyfriend is snuggled warm and comfy in his bed at the hotel...so jealous! I'm sure I'll take a nice nap myself as soon as I get home. Maybe I can even squeeze in a quick snooze before our descent.

Tootles!

I took this outside of my airplane window. The beginnings

of a sunrise with cloud cover underneath us. Pretty, huh?

No comments: