I know everyone and they're grandma has heard of MySpace. For years, I've protested getting on that site for the sheer reason that I don't like the idea of people reading about you without you knowing they're looking at your profile. Plus, I'm a firm believer that you're exposing yourself way too easily for the masses to look into your life. By no means am I an introvert or super secretive person, but I also know how some things you write/type on the internet can come back to haunt you...personally and mainly professionally.
Yes, I know it sounds hypocritical for me to say that seeing as I have a blog, but my blog is not set to be openly viewed. Only those who have the direct address can access it, meaning there's no way to just search it via a search engine or search through my blog host Blogger...thank goodness! I accidently dropped that security feature for one day, and my profile views went from 13 to 173. Wow....never gonna do that again!
Anyway, I finally broke down and set up a MySpace account Friday. My reason: anger at ridiculous parents. I heard on the news how a mother from Austin was suing MySpace because her teenage daughter was raped by someone she met on the website. I ask: When does a parent start blaming others for either neglected parenting or for their bad parenting skills altogether? Granted no girl should be forced against her will, but can a mother blame a website for her allowing her child to play on the internet unmonitored for hours on end? Is she so busy she can't check on what her child is doing every once in awhile...maybe take 5 minutes out to pull up the history of what her child's been doing on the computer? Come one, people! We're in a technologically advanced world here...this is just the new age version of teaching your kids not to open the door for strangers, not to get into cars with strangers, and not taking candy from strangers. How can you blame a website for not enforcing your authority to teach your kids these basic rules or for laziness as a parent to check on your teen? Too busy? Whatever, then you shouldn't have had kids to begin with if you couldn't make time for them. I know I don't have time for kids and that's why I make every precaution to not have any right now.
So yes, there is my rant. I enrolled on MySpace as a "stick it to the man/bad parent." I know it sounds retarded, but hey...it made me feel like I was getting back at bad parenting skills...sue me.
Monday, June 26, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment