Tuesday, May 16, 2006

The Chase

I heard two ladies probably in their late-20's/early-30's talking on the elevator yesterday as I was leaving work. Seeing that I'm almost on the highest floor at my skyscraper, it was a long enough ride down to overhear a chunk of their conversation. It went something like this:

Blonde: From what you said, I think he likes you but too chicken shit to make a move. He seems kinda shy.
Brunette: I was trying to see if he was even interested, but I couldn't tell if he had just drank too much so that's why he stayed out later with us or if he was staying because I started talking to him more. Everyone says he never stays any longer than a couple of hours at those happy hours.
Blonde: Well are you gonna ask him out or wait to see if he's interested?
Brunette: Maybe I'm not even interested in him but I like the idea of the challenge (insert giggle here). I never even noticed this guy until someone mentioned he was hard to get to know.
Blonde: You're so messed up. You just like the chase.
Brunette: Maybe. Maybe he can at least be a practice chase if nothing comes out of it. (insert more vindictive giggling here)
(Elevator door opens, and the women head the opposite direction from me continuing their conversation)

I've always known that women were equally competitive as men about "The Chase." I, too, have been guilty of it - probably the queen of it for years. You like a guy so much that you can't imagine not wanting to be with him. Then you start dating more frequently, know he'll never leave you, and then all the sudden he's not as exciting as he use to be. Isn't that horrible?!?!?

Although I'm glad I no longer partake in all the chasing or being chased, I remember the adrenaline rush it gives so I don't fault anyone for doing it in the least. I guess it's just funny to hear people talk about it like it's some great XBox game that we all enjoy playing.

No comments: